Sunday, August 5, 2012

Perspective

By far one of my favorite books that I have read so far in 2012 was a collection of poems called Love, An Index by Rebecca Lindenberg.  Lindenberg's collection has a theme:  it is solely focused on her relationship with her partner Craig Arnold (also a poet) and the process of mourning his death (Arnold disappeared in 2009 while hiking a volcano in Japan).

My favorite poem in the book was a short one, here it is:

You give me an apartment full of morning smells-
toasted bagel and black coffee
and the freckled lilies in the vase on the windowsill.
You give me 24-across.

That's it!  But it is amazing!!!!  This little 4 liner poem has stirred up so much emotion!  I first read it in February and I am still thinking about it!  At first, perhaps because I read it during the week of Valentine's Day, it made me sad.  It made me miss a time when I had Sunday mornings like this one.  But the longer this poem stays with me the longer the sadness is morphing into something new: HOPE.

Good Morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment