Wednesday, January 15, 2014

When I listen to Wednesdays...



When I listen to "Relator" by Pete Yorn and Scarlett Johansson I am back in 2009, first let me say this... I have liked Pete Yorn since his first album, Musicforthemorningafter and as for Scarlett Johansson I know, I know... people hate her or love her... I definitely fall in to the latter category, I tend to love almost all her movies and then when she became Woody Allen's muse, forget about it... I was hooked.  Now can she sing?  I'm sure the music technicians worked their charm, but this album, particularly the song, "Relator" brought me out of darkness.  

2008 was hands down the worst year of my life, and it was such a doozy that I don't think (knock on wood) that God would ever hand me one that would top that, they say he only gives us what we can handle, and that one pretty much pushed me to the brink, so I think I'm good for the rest of my life.  Well, needless to say my 2008 was filled to the brim with music that could make the most cheeriest of souls want to drown themselves.  Granted, I still adore many of those songs and the little singer-songwriters that penned them and performed them in tiny locations all over Denver & Boulder for me.  

That said, when you have a year like that, full of sadness and despair, and then a song comes along that makes you want to dance... it feels like a little drop of sunshine, like the clouds are parting and for the rest of your life you can't help but remember that a song made you feel that you might get through this after all.  For all of 2 minutes and 34 seconds, you could pick up on a beat and you could bob your head and tap your foot to it and then before you know it you were dancing and you weren't being suffocated with memories and the feeling of loss that threatened to smother you, you didn't have to remember to gasp for air.

I adore this album, it is said that Pete wanted to make an album that channeled something similar to Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot... Very 60's.  It's meant to be like a couple singing together about the up's and down's of their relationship.  

Anyway, I tend to be the only person I know that gives Scarlett a chance, I think all my sisters hated my little happy ditty.  But I'm telling you if they did another duet album, I'd buy it again.  If you take a listen let me know what you think (The video is pretty awesome too).   

No comments:

Post a Comment