Monday, March 31, 2014

Let's Talk About Books Baby!


(I know, my picture is lame this month... I blame it on the fact that I had a library book that I had to turn in mid-March).

Books Bought

The Haunted Life and other writings- Jack Kerouac
A Freewheelin' Time: A Memoir of Greenwich Village in the Sixties- Suze Rotolo
Just Kids- Patti Smith
The Village: A History of Greenwich Village- John Strausbaugh
In Secret- Emile Zola
The Paradise- Emile Zola

Books Read

Divergent- Veronica Roth
Fools' Gold (Order of Darkness, #3)- Philippa Gregory
You'll be Okay: My Life with Jack Kerouac- Edie Kerouac Parker
Hey Folly- Mary Margaret Alvarado
A Freewheelin' Time: A Memoir of Greenwich Village in the Sixties- Suze Rotolo


Ahh... the month of March and the joy of a bountiful tax return!  To Barnes & Noble I go!  As you can tell, I bought some books this month! That's right!  I do it in the name of fruitfulness and research!

Not much to say about my purchases because as of yet, I haven't read the majority of them, so let's discuss them in the future shall we?

On to books read:

Divergent- What can I say?  Entertaining, but definitely not literature.  I got sucked in to the idea of reading this book when I saw the trailer for the movie at the premiere of Catching Fire.  Of course there are the rabid fans out there who can claim that they read the series long before you could walk into the bookstore without bumping into a pile of these books on every table and shelf.  Of course I can claim that I worked at the bookstore before all the movie-goer crowd caught on, back when I was only selling this book to the rabid fan.  Turns out America's love of the teen series continues, when will we learn that nothing, and I mean NOTHING will ever be Harry Potter?

Fools' Gold- Alas, another teen series.  Difference is... I seem to be the ONLY person on the planet reading this one.  Which begs the question... how has it made it to three books released with a fourth already announced? Got me!  It's a quick read, entertaining, different than the other mainstream stuff that has been coming out in the past decade that's for sure.  But what else would one expect from Philippa Gregory?  (Still holding tight to my #1 most read author on goodreads- oh the shame!)

You'll be Okay- Loved this one! Learned a lot about my dear Kerouac, and I don't want to jinx anything but has given me my first non-autobiographical idea for a book project!!! Love, love, love!

Hey Folly- Saw this poet perform in Boulder a couple of months ago, finally read the book!  Love it!  Is it just me or is poetry becoming super cool again? Or has it always been and I just fell off the wagon for awhile?

Freewheelin' Time- The first book officially read in the name of research for said project that I don't want to jinx!  Loved it, it's delicious!  Not so much about Bob Dylan but definitely about the woman that was his muse and the inspiration for one of the most beloved album covers of all time.  


What about you? Read anything good lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment