Sunday, July 6, 2014

Let's Talk About Books Baby!


June

Books Bought:
Hard Choices- Hillary Rodham Clinton
The Goldfinch- Donna Tartt

Books Read:
Suite Francaise- Irene Nemirovsky
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Fire and Ice #2) (audiobook)- George R.R. Martin
Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life- Thich Nhat Hahn
Greenwich Village Stories: A Collection of Memories- various contributors

Ok... let's start with the amazing fact that I bought and got my copy signed by the one and only SECRETARY HILLARY CLINTON!  Wow!  Some of you may know that I just adore meeting powerful political people at book signings (in the past I've met President Clinton, Vice President Gore, and Secretary Albright), I am now seeing Hillary as the link that will lead me from the Clinton Administration into the Obama era of book signings!  Plus, I can say that I met the future first woman President (hopefully)!

As for The Goldfinch, I finished that one in July so stay tuned!

Suite Francaise actually took me awhile to finish reading (actually June may as well be called "loose ends" month... I was tying up a few books that I couldn't wait to be done with).  Nemirovsky's book is amazing!  The first few pages I found myself thinking I was in for a masterpiece of a treat.  But the book did start to lag for me in places.  First, one cannot discuss this book without touching on the history behind it.  Nemirovsky was from the Ukraine, and was a Jew.  Nemirovsky's family fled during the Russian Revolution and ultimately settled in France where she converted to Roman Catholicism.  As the Nazi occupation of France was happening, Nemirovsky began what was ultimately going to be a sweeping novel about the very history that the citizens of France were living through.  However, her Jewish roots caught up with her and Nemirovsky was taken into custody only to die a brief time later in Auschwitz.  Knowing the author's own story which is placed out in the appendices of the book is what makes Suite Francaisse that much richer.  The story (at least the part that was told and later preserved by her daughters) has only two sections (though many more were outlined).  The first is a hodge podge of many Parisians who have fled to the countryside, they encounter bombings, and shortage of food, gasoline, and places to sleep.  Some of the characters are likable but most I found to be either not that interesting or kind of disdainful.  However in this section, it was the descriptions that kept me hooked.  The second section depicts a town where the Germans are staying in the homes of the local people.  This story I liked much more, you got to really know the people more.  Ultimately, it would have been interesting to see how the various sections were all going to tie together, but due to the author's sad ending we will never know... and even THAT leaves what we do have of the book with a much deeper meaning.

A Clash of Kings- Oy!  I have never been so happy for a book to come to an end.  I think I'm going to leave it to the TV show from here on out.  Enough said.

Savor was a nice book with a few little gems that I highlighted (gasp- yes, the only books I highlight are diet books!)  And just like all the other books, most of the information I already know, which leads me to think I'm going to these books for motivation or inspiration... but I'm beginning to learn that I'm not going to get what I need from a diet book.

Greenwich Village Stories- Loved this!  It featured many contributors, all residents of the village at one time or another and it really painted a picture of what the village means.  It's probably one of the most culturally significant neighborhoods in our nation's history.  The people that have flocked to it are always looking for something more, and they always find it... there!  

All in all, June was good, I got to put some books to bed and do a little more research.  July is shaping up to be most excellent... so tune back in then! Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment