Thursday, April 9, 2015

Favorite Quote(s)

Today's prompt is nearly impossible to complete.  Why's that you ask?  Because the prompt is: your favorite quote.  Well, you can't be a person that reads a book a week and walk around in this world with only one favorite quote... many, many quotes make up who I am.  Words become a part of me, I soak in them like a bubble bath, I drink them in like a strong cup of coffee; and as much as I would like to be the creator of my own feelings and experiences put to words, I have found, that mostly my favorite books and authors sum me up perfectly.  So, in no particular order, here are my top ten delicious little morsels of language strung together... aka my favorite quotes EVER (we love a good list, right?):

1.  The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, that it has come to be disbelieved in.  Few people dare now to say that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other.  Yet it is in this way that love begins, and in this way only. -Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

2.  You give me an apartment full of morning smells- toasted bagel and black coffee and the freckled lilies in the vase on the windowsill.  You give me 24-across. -Rebecca Lindenberg, Love, an Index

3.  Dignity is an affectation, cute but eccentric, like learning French or collecting scarves. -Dave Eggers, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

4.  'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo. 'So do I,' Said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times.  But that is not for them to decide.  All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.' -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.

5.  Even in the Eternal City, says the silent Augusteum, one must always be prepared for riotous and endless waves of transformation. -Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love

6.   Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right. -J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

7. What is that feeling when you're driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing?  It's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good bye.  But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies. -Jack Kerouac, On the Road

8.   The greatest lie ever told about love is that is sets you free. -Zadie Smith, On Beauty

9.   I know it's hard to write, darling. But it's harder not to.  The only way you'll find out if you have it in you is to get to work and see if you do. -Cheryl Strayed, Tiny Beautiful Things

10.   I love New York, even though it isn't mine, the way something has to be, a tree or a street or a house, something, anyway that belongs to me because I belong to it. -Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany's

No comments:

Post a Comment